Content writing is a category of work that first surfaced in the early 1990s, due to an exponential rise in online activities.
Content writing aims to provide the "speech" to a website, summarising what the website is about and explaining what the site offers to potential customers.The availability of the global job market means content writing services vary in the paid-for services on offer. In general, most content writing organizations offer the writing of article copy, blog posts, press releases, web page information, product descriptions and other corporate material. While different pricing scales apply to these categories (depending on the company), most providers charge a fixed "by the word" rate.
There is a growing demand for skilled web content writing on the Internet. Quality content often translates into higher revenues for online businesses.
Website owners and managers depend on content writers to perform several major tasks:
1. Develop, write content as per the business concept.
2. Check for keywords or generate a keyword, and research limitations for the keywords.
3. Create or copy edit to inform the reader, and to promote or sell the company, product, or service described in the website.
4. Produce content to entice and engage visitors so they continue browsing the current website. The longer a visitor stays on a particular site, the greater the likelihood they will eventually become clients or customers.
5. Produce content that is smart in its use of keywords, or is focused on search engine optimization (SEO). This means the text must contain relevant keywords and phrases that are most likely to be entered by users in web searches associated with the actual site for better search engine indexing and ranking.
6. Create content that allows the site visitors to get the information they want quickly and efficiently. Efficient and focused web content gives readers access to information in a user-friendly manner.
7. Create unique, useful, and compelling content on a topic primarily for the readers and not merely for the search engines.
Website content writing aims for relevance and search-ability. Relevance means that the website text should be useful and beneficial to readers. Search-ability indicates usage of keywords to help search engines direct users to websites that meet their search criteria.
There are various ways through which websites come up with article writing, and one of them is outsourcing of the content writing. However, it is riskier than other options, as not all writers can write content specific to the web.
Content can be written for various purposes in various forms. The most popular forms of content writing are:
- Writing white papers
- Promotional mails (content for email marketing purpose)
- Social media management and promotion
- or any other offline or online marketing purposes
The content in website differs based on the product or service it is used for.
Online writers vs. Print writers
Writing online is different from composing and constructing content for printed materials. Web users tend to scan text instead of reading it closely, skipping what they perceive to be unnecessary information and hunting for what they regard as most relevant. It is estimated that seventy-nine percent of users scan web content. It is also reported that it takes twenty-five percent more time to scan content online compared to print content. Web content writers must have the skills to insert paragraphs and headlines containing keywords for search engine optimization, as well as to make sure their composition is clear, to reach their target market. They need to be skilled writers and good at engaging an audience as well as understanding the needs of web users.
Content Writing Providers
Website content writing is frequently outsourced to external providers, such as individual web copywriters or for larger or more complex projects, a specialized digital marketing agency. It shall be said that most of the content writers also spend time learning about digital marketing with more focus on Search Engine Optimization, Pay Per Click, Social Media Optimization etc so that they can develop right content which can help clients with marketing business easily.
Digital marketing agencies combine copy-writing services with a range of editorial and associated services, that may include brand positioning, message consulting, social media, SEO consulting, developmental and copy editing, proofreading, fact checking, layout, content syndication, and design.
Outsourcing allows businesses to focus on core competencies and to benefit from the specialized knowledge of professional copywriters and editors.